Old November 19th 06, 01:15 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Morgans[_2_]

Default A deal at Home Depot

"Richard Riley" wrote

Internet/Catalog # 100005910
Brand HUSKY
Model # HS7810
Air Delivery 12.6 SCFM @ 90 PSI
Engine Horsepower 7 HP
Max Air Pressure Delivery 175 PSI
Motor Induction
Power Requirement 240 volts/17.3 amps

Of course this means I have to get 220 in the garage. How horrible.
I'd never want that, of course.

Nice.

My best advice is to install a new subpanel in the garage.

Put a 100 amp breaker in your existing panel, and feed 4 lines to your sub
panel. You need 4 so you have dedicated 2 hots, and a neutral, and a separate
ground. You will need to separate the ground and neutral in the new panel,
unlike most primary panels. I think that is correct. I'm not a licensed
electrician, but I recall that is what was required in my house, to meet code.

You will need to install lots of different new circuits, more than likely, for
lighting, machines, welders, ect. It will be cheaper in the long run to have
the panel, so you don't have to run new circuits all of the way back to your
existing panel. Of course, if your existing panel is right on the other side of
the wall from your garage, ..."never mind!" g

One of the other posters also mentioned putting the new air machine in the
basement (that you don't have) and the concept of not having to listen to it is
a very, very, very good point. You might consider putting a small lean-to type
of shed on the outside wall of the garage, or a tall free standing doghouse
outside of the garage. The positives far out weigh the negatives, IMHO.

When you wire it up, you also might consider putting it on a wind-up type of
timer. It always seems I was leaving the workshop without turning off the
compressor, and having to get out of bed (after getting an elbow in the ribs) to
go turn it off, after it slowly leaked down and started up in the wee hours of
the morning.

Enjoy. Also, I have another trick. The reason it starts in the wee hours, is
because I have the drain cracked ever so slightly, so that it takes about 3 or 4
hours lo leak enough to turn back on. This makes the draining of the compressor
unnecessary, as it is always draining. It is a good idea to check on it
occasionally, to make sure it has not gotten plugged shut, and not draining.
--
Jim in NC