Old August 22nd 03, 10:01 PM
Don Rieck

docfl wrote:
I remember years ago(late 70s)there was a grass strip on Sanibel but I have
done a Google search with few results. Does anyone have any details on this
now closed strip?
I remember going by it on the school bus many times(I lived on Captiva at
the time) and vaguely remember there were shelters for small planes across
the street by the Casabel resort.
Thanks
docfl

I just stayed on Sanibel in August (yes it was hot). Our condo was just
down the road from a very small dirt road with an airport sign pointing
into the trees. I had no reason to go look, but it appeared as if there
was indeed a small strip there. You could not see into the VERY dense
jungle/tree line from the road at all.

We also took a boat tour and the guide pointed out a little strip on North
Captiva. I would suggest practicing your short field landings And the
houses you might ding on either side of that runway look a bit pricey

No clue how to find out anything about them except perhaps contacting the
Sanibel Chamber of Commerce.

Don Rieck