Old April 11th 04, 02:01 PM
Jay Honeck

Disagree. Strongly. There's a lot about writing that you can learn. But
there's also a large, probably major, part that you can't.

Interesting theory. I tend to agree, although I can't quantify my answer.

All I know is this: People who can speak eloquently cannot necessarily
write well -- even though all they would have to do is write down PRECISELY
what they just finished saying.

I once had a boss who was the most eloquent guy in the world. He could
speak on any subject, thoughtfully, for hours -- and the words just
naturally came out with proper sentence structure. His thoughts were
clearly organized into logical, progressive paragraphs.

Yet, in writing, he was a blathering idiot -- virtually illiterate. I still
get one-sentence emails from him, with misspelled words and no structure at
all. He simply can't translate his thoughts into writing.

This has always been a mystery to me -- it's like their internal tape
recorder is broken?
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA