Old July 9th 07, 05:50 PM posted to rec.aviation.rotorcraft
roger.cansdale

Default Red Bull helo in OKC

I remember seeing a Westland Lynx barrel rolling at the Farnborough Airshow
back in the 1970s. The original Sikorsky S67 Blackhawk also did barrel rolls
but crashed doing this during practice for Farnborough in 1974. The Bolkow
105 also did loops and rolls. Its not a big deal, provided that you keep
pulling positive g all the way round, but the Lynx can do flick rolls - 360
degrees in about 3 seconds.

Why you would want to do such things is another matter.

"Maxwell" wrote in message
Got to see the Red Bull helicopter routine in Oklahoma City this weekend.

Is this guy pushing all known limits, or is there something very new and
different about the Eurocopter?

Perhaps I have been way out of the loop, but this is the first I had heard
of loops and barrel rolls in a helo.

The highlight of the show for me.