Old December 16th 13, 06:17 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Papa3[_2_]

Default Air Extractor: Better than a Plastic Jesus?

Not quite the direct answer you're looking for, but you do know that DG seems to think that venting cockpit air matters, right?

http://www.dg-flugzeugbau.de/index.p...dl-absaugung-e

On the theory that the Nixon Air Extractor had a better chance of working than the Plastic Jesus, I installed one two winters ago. Obvious improvement in cockpit airflow and decrease in canopy noise at high speed suggest it's doing "something". I built a little foam block with a string attached and plan to do some testing on cockpit pressure at speed with/without the exit orifice available. Expect to be able to show increased cockpit pressure with my handy-dandy NK Kestrel Wx meter and also see if there is measurable outflow by locating the Kestrel in the exit area. All that proves is a first-order measurement (i.e. something is happening due to the vent). In terms of performance measurement, maybe faith (along with the Plastic Jesus) is justification enough?

P3

On Sunday, December 15, 2013 6:51:45 PM UTC-5, wrote:
On Sunday, December 15, 2013 1:01:20 PM UTC-5, wrote:

Noticing all the openings behind the cockpits of mainly Schleicher gliders such as -27 and 29's I'm asking myself if this is a real drag reducer or a placebo. For those unfamiliar: people have been cutting 4x2 openings into the fuselage about 8" behind the canopy cutout and put air vents - some with funnel-like contraptions on the inside of the turtle deck into their gliders. The funnel seems to suggest to the air molecules "this way out", some pilots may put arrow stickers on the inside so the air knows which way to flow. The whole thing is meant to avoid pressurizing the cockpit from the front air vent. Air leaking from the canopy seal would trip outside air flow to become turbulent. Are there any serious comparison flights that were done following a scientific protocol to show the effect of such devices? Is this really better than putting a Tibetan prayer flag on the tail or a plastic Jesus on the glare shield? The latter can serve double purpose since I know where I would stick my transponder or PFlarm antenna... Seriously, I'd be interested if anyone has found this thing useful beyond the statement that it must be good since all these hotshot pilots (insert call signs here) have one. I'm waiting with jigsaw in hand for your responses, the LS8 rests uneasily in the basement! Herb, J7

Ask Erik Mann his opinion. He has one in his LS-8.

UH