Old June 5th 04, 06:44 AM
Michael Kelly

I've seen two proposals to this effect, makes for some interesting
reading... It is plausible, but the real question is if the money for
upgrades would be better spent on systems other than the engines. FWIW
reengining does bring interesting new capabilities.

Michael Kelly
Bone Maintainer

Paul F Austin wrote:
From this week's AvWeek. Boeing responded to an Air Force RFI against a
requirement for improved bombers by suggesting re-engining the B-1 fleet
with F-119 engines with the following characteristics: Mach 2 cruise, 3000
mile radius, 60,000 foot ceiling (with a couple of hours loiter).

Is this plausible? From others in this group, I though the B-1 was marginal
above 30,000 feet.