Old October 6th 06, 05:18 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Ross Richardson[_2_]

Default Experiences with Cessna 172 upgrade to 180hp?

Leonard Ellis wrote:
We're nearing time to overhaul the Lycoming O-320H2AD (6210 hours since new)
in our C172N. This will be its 3rd major overhaul and we're interested in
learning about the experiences of those who upgraded to the O-360.
Specifically, the changes you found in performance, impacts on range, or
other relevant information including recommendations on where to get it done
will be appreciated.

Cheers,
Leonard Ellis
Dallas, Texas

I have a '65 C-172 that came with this conversion. It has the
Doyn/Bush/Avcom conversion. The owners of the STC are not cooperative.
However, the conversion is fantastic. I have the Lycoming O-360-A1A
spinning a C/S prop. You really gain in rate of climb, and a little in
cruise. My model of Skyhawk does not get a GW increase. Airplains and
Penn-Yann do these conversions. AirPlains is in OK. Fuel burn is more so
understand that with the same tanks you have. I usually fly around 60 -
65% and I am OK with 36 gal tanks.

--

Regards, Ross
C-172F 180HP