Old December 15th 20, 05:20 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Hank Nixon

Default 3 Alisport Silent 2 Electros for sale in Wings and Wheels.

On Monday, December 14, 2020 at 2:16:22 PM UTC-5, Eric Greenwell wrote:
kinsell wrote on 12/14/2020 10:35 AM:
On 12/14/20 9:54 AM, 2G wrote:
On Sunday, December 13, 2020 at 8:25:36 PM UTC-8, Eric Greenwell wrote:
Eric Greenwell wrote on 12/11/2020 2:05 PM:
Charles Zabinski wrote on 12/11/2020 1:48 PM:
There are 16 Silent 2 Electros in the FAA Registration Data Base. 3 are for sale and are all
low time. Any thoughts? Are they uncomfortable, poor penetration, what?

Call the owners and talk to them. The Electro owner I know likes to talk about his, but he
also
flies it a lot. Here is his OLC logbook for the 2020 season:

https://www.onlinecontest.org/olc-3....t=olc&pi=10497

Here's the OLC logbook of another 13.5M/FES glider pilot I know: Phil Rose. He flew seven
flights in Ely this year in his miniLak, garnering several state, national, and World records
in the process. He might be a good source of information for choosing the miniLak over an
Electro.

And he is also the pilot I cited who landed his miniLak out, stating to me that he didn't
think he had the battery capacity to do a self-retrieve even though he was quite a bit less
than 100k out of Ely.

Tom

On the seven flights Eric showed, he was taking tows to conserve battery. If these things were
marketed as sustainers with limited range, that would be more accurate than calling them
self-launchers.

Taking tows was a tactical decision, made by a pilot seeking records and big flights in tiger
country, a situation making an airborne motor use more likely than otherwise; normally, he
flies in Washington state and self-launches. Jeff Banks, the Electro pilot I mentioned, mostly
self-launched while at Heber, Parawon, Nephi, Stout Field, and Richfield this season - 26
flights in all.

The benefit is that one has the option to fly when no tug is available knowing that the available power for save or return will be much more limited than if a tow is taken. Somewhere between 25 and 40% of available energy will likely be used to launch.
That said, having the motor isn't just motor home. It may be to get out of a bad spot in the flight and then continue soaring home. That may require very little energy.
The profile for my electric ASW-24E(L) is launch and have about 3500- 4000 feet of additional climb remaining for saves. Testing so far projects about 5500 ft of climb from full charge.
All I need is to be able to fly on Wednesday when there is no tow pilot and have a high expectation of not having to call my wife for a retrieve.
I suspect my objective is much like many that have these gliders.
FWIW
UH