Old December 9th 03, 09:04 PM
Eric Greenwell

Arnold Pieper wrote:

To make a long story short :
-Look at the ASI on any turboprop or even some turbocharged aircraft, and
you will see that they fly at TAS much faster than the VNE painted on their
ASI.

Example : Twin Commander, VNE=255Kt (it's on it's ASI), Cruise TAS = 280Kt
to 300Kt.

The same holds true for all airplanes that fly up to the 20s and higher,
which aviation has been doing since WWII.

Look at the manual of some gliders, that do have the limitation on IAS with
Altitude.
You will see that the table of IAS is not correcting the VNE as a TAS value.

Nowhere in aviation VNE is considered a TAS value.

Quoting from the manual for my Schleicher ASH 26 E:

"4.5.8 High altitude flight

Flutter tests were carried out at about 2000 m msl. As the ASI
under-reads at increasing altitude, but since flutter limits for light
aircraft are determined by the true air speed, the following limitations
apply to high altitude flights:" [table of IAS at Vne for altitudes to
13000m follows]

--
-----
Replace "SPAM" with "charter" to email me directly

Eric Greenwell
Washington State
USA