Old December 20th 05, 04:56 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Default Curious incident :)

Paul Tomblin wrote:
In a previous article, "Ramapriya" said:
in front of it. I noticed that the MD-11 had barely begun its turn on
the exit at the far end when smoke came off the 747 tires. The takeoff
roll had begun.

Since when does smoke come of the tires of a plane starting its takeoff
roll? I can't think of any way that could happen.

If I understood the OP correctly, the 747 was starting its takeoff roll
as an MD11 landed in front of him. The 747 probably hit the brakes
really hard.

To answer the original question (have I seen this before?): no, never. I
was once cleared into position and hold, but spotted traffic on short
final, so I held short, and told the controller about it. He apologized,
moments later a different controller replaced him.

This has happened in the USA though. You may all remember the 737 that
landed on top of a Brasilia (or some turboprop) at LAX in the late 80's.

-jav