Old May 27th 04, 09:42 PM
Jeroen Wenting

Shame isn't it that in under a year they'll all be gone and the base closed.
The aircraft are being given away to Germany, the base turned into cheap
housing projects.
Valkenburg will close. As part of the giveaway Dutch crews will provide
training in Germany under the smokescreen of a dual command unit operated
jointly by the Dutch and German navies.

And so ends another phase in preparing the country for foreign occupation.
Next phase will see the drawdown of the airfarce (already down to under 100
aircraft, about half of which are semi-permanently stationed abroad on NATO
and UN assignments) and further reduction in pilot training (already 25%
under NATO minimums).
The army too is being gutted, loosing its complete artillery and tank force
over the next few years, and having the infantry loose most of its armoured
vehicles.
Half the combat helicopter force will also be scrapped starting next year.
All operations will be consolidated at just 3 bases, one of them colocated
with a civilian airport. This makes the force neatly capable of a first
strike destruction, as these bases will lack the hardened shelter capability
to house the aircraft stationed there (without doubt planned that way).

We're now already worse off than we were in May 1940, and things are going
from bad to worse.

Now it just remains to be seen whether it's the Germans or the French to
take the logical step of invasion, both have done it before...