Old March 21st 05, 09:57 PM
Roger

On Mon, 21 Mar 2005 07:23:58 -0800, Glenn Jones
wrote:

In article .com,
"Denny" wrote:

The local FBO just had two exhaust valves go bad on his C180.... Pulled
the cylinders and sent them out to a cylinder shop for overhaul... They
came back yellow tagged... He re-installed the cylinders back on the
same piston they came off from, and on one could not get the exhaust
pipe to line up... What the hey? Gets out a strong light (why do all
mechanics work in a shop that is dimmer than a confessional booth?) and
takes a look... The head was re-installed on the barrel ten degrees out
of alignment...

I just went through a big thrash on a carburetor that was supposedly
zero timed from the re-manufacturer... It was defective out of the
box, TWO times in a row...

Well, especially in the case of the cylinders, visual inspection prior
to installation would have revealed the flaw. The fact your A&P just

Visual would have revealed 10 degrees? Your eyes are better than
mine. On something that large I'd not see the 10 degrees until I had
something with which to reference it too.

Now OTOH I'm not a mechanic and maybe there are alignment marks that
would have made it stand out like a sore thumb, but having alignment
marks would be too simple and make too much sense.

(N833R, S# CD-2 Worlds oldest Debonair)
www.rogerhalstead.com

pulled them out of the box and slapped them on the engine is alarming to
me.

In an ideal world, something coming back from a shop with a yellow tag
would not need inspection prior to installation.

In the real world, EVERYTHING coming back from a third-party shop needs
inspection.