Old January 5th 04, 08:41 PM
James Hart

Ken Duffey wrote:
David Anderson wrote:

Does anyone know which military airport has the most runways and
which one has the longest runway? The Rogers Lakebed portion of
Edwards Air Force Base in Southern California has at least 15 (paved
and unpaved) runways, one of which has a paved length of more than
15,000 feet (~4,500 metres) with an unpaved overrun of almost 10,000
feet (i.e., an additional 3,000 metres). Another (unpaved)
"runway", number 17-35, is more than 7 miles long (~39,000 feet or
~11,700 metres in length). Does anyone know of a military (or
civilian) airport with more runways or a longer runway? I believe
the longest paved runway in North America is Runway 16R-34L at
Denver International Airport at 16,000 feet long (~4,800 metres);
the airport with the longest paved runway in the world is Banda
Airport in eastern Tibet at 18,045 feet in length (~4,400 metres);
this one is also said to be the highest airport in the world at a
field elevation of 15,548 feet (~4,650 metres) above sea level.

The main runway (VPP-4) at Ramenskoye - now called Zhukovski - near
Moscow, is 5403 m (17,726 ft) in length.

Who designs things like this? I can understand them building one 5000m long,
maybe add 400m more for luck but why stick that last 3m on there?

--
James...
www.jameshart.co.uk