Old May 7th 18, 08:30 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
K m

Default Soaring not compatible with modern society?

On Monday, May 7, 2018 at 12:18:05 PM UTC-7, Jonathan St. Cloud wrote:
When I was flying my Nimbus4, I used airports as alternates. I really did not want to risk putting that bird anywhere and in over 400 hours, virtually all XC time, I never put it in a field, other than an airfield.

This is a good point. I would not want to try an off airport landout in an open ship but a flapped 15M will fit just about anywhere. I think a lot depends on what a pilot is doing. On an OLC day I try to stick to airports but in a contest you take what you can get.
Sorry if I had the original comment out of context.
Kirk