Old March 13th 10, 11:59 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Peter Dohm

Default Glass Repair and Vacuum Pumps

"vaughn" wrote in message

"brian whatcott" wrote in message
It was years ago. The question popped up on r.a.h
How to make a low cost vacuum pump.

Yep, that windshield repair kit sounds good. Some enlightened auto
insurance companies will fix a chip "free" (without applying your
deductible) just to keep the problem from growing into an expensive
windshield replacement.

For a general purpose vacuum pump, I use a compressor out of an old window
AC unit. Mine has lasted for many years of occasional use. I store it
sealed up in a plastic 5-gallon bucket.

Vaughn

True, some will, and others will encourage a replacement as soon as it's
even remotely warranted. The truth is that most automobile windshields are
surprisingly cheap today--after adjusting for inflation, they are just a few
cents on the dollar of what they were forty years ago. Even the classic car
windshields have gone down a lot after abjusting for inflation; but the
greater difference is in the mounting methods on the newer (meaning the last
thirth or more years) cars--the replacement windshield will not be under
stress.

Peter