Old March 12th 04, 03:56 PM
Dale

In article ,
(WalterM140) wrote:

I am building a diorama with a 1/48th scale B-17 at low altitude. It will
have
two engines turning and two shut down.

My question is, would a B-17 have its landing flaps deployed at all at this
lower speed and altitude if it was not landing, just hedge-hopping home? And
if so, how much?

No, you would leave the flaps up until needed/desired for landing. The
B-17 used a plain flap that was mostly drag (use of 10-20 degrees does
shorten the ground roll somewhat but hurts the climb). And if it was me
flying I wouldn't be any lower than I had to be.

--
Dale L. Falk

There is nothing - absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing
as simply messing around with airplanes.

http://home.gci.net/~sncdfalk/flying.html