Old December 27th 03, 05:08 PM
Jukka O. Kauppinen

Default Development of British cannon ammuniation during WW2

What was the timetable for British development for their 20 mm cannon
ammuniation during WW2?

I'm aware that RAF tried to install first cannons to Spit Is but this
was initially a failure. Early Spit V models were introduced with 60
round supply to the Hispanos, later with 120 rounds per gun. Some of the
documents I've seen showed, that RAF had severe problems in 1941 maybe
even during 1942 with HE ammo, which had tendency to explode in the
barrel. Until HE was perfected (42?) I presume the cannons primarily
used the Ball ammuniation?

What is the actual timetable for introduction of various British cannon
ammuniation types for squadron service? Ball from the start, AP, HE, API
etc later?

jok