Old November 3rd 18, 01:02 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Cookie

Default Vortex Generators on 182 tow plane???

Anybody have any experience and / or advice on putting vortex generators on our Cessna 182 (swept tail) tow plane? Do they actually do much? Or are they hocus-pocus?

We often tow with 15 to 20 knot, gusty, direct cross winds.

Also, on take off, we have a paved taxiway crossing our grass runway...there can be quite a bump there depending where you cross...we try to have the tow plane airborne before the taxi way, but sometimes it is marginal depending on the wind and the type of glider. VG's might get it in the air sooner??

Lastly, the 182 "likes" to fly a bit faster than the Schweizer gliders (1-26, 2-33) really like to be towed. VG's might make slower tows easier / safer ?

A couple of or tow pilots are all "for" putting on the VG's...figuring every little bit will help...maybe better handling...more control...shorter take off...better cross wind control safer.. etc...

Others say they aren't worth the $$$ or the bother...

Whattadayathink??

Cookie