Old February 6th 04, 02:03 AM
Jay Honeck

Default Simple & Cheap Tricks for your plane

This thread was actually started on the Cherokee 235/236 owner's group a
couple of days ago, and it was quite interesting and informative. However,
that group is quite small by comparison to rec.aviation -- so I thought I'd
open this topic up for everyone here.

The challenge is this: Post all the cheap and simple little "tricks" that
you've come up with to make your aircraft or your flying easier, cheaper,
and more comfortable! I'll bet we come up with quite a list of ideas.

Here are mine:

1. The shoulder harnesses in our plane were a constant pain in the butt to
stow and reach. We were always fishing them off the floor before each
flight. One day I noticed there were snaps installed in the webbing of the
harness, so I went to a sewing shop and bought the "male" mates to those
snaps. I then installed the co-pilot's male snap in the ceiling, using an
existing screw, and the pilot's male snap in the plastic above the left
window, also using an existing screw.

Voila! We now just snap our shoulder harnesses up and out of the way after
each flight, and the harnesses are always within easy reach.

2. Hand-held radios are very handy things to have on board (I used a
hand-held to get into Minneapolis International one night, after a com
failure), but where to put them? They've got to be within easy reach, but
also out of the way. But I didn't like keeping one in the seat backs, since
those always seem to be over-loaded.

So, using left-over leather from our recent interior job, I hand-tooled a
pouch for our little ICOM unit. On our Cherokee there is a little space just
ahead of the door on the co-pilot's side that is perfectly sized for this
pouch. Again, using an existing screw I installed a snap, and we now have
our hand-held (and the headphone adaptor, which is crucial in a noisy
airplane) right by the co-pilot's knee -- handy, but not in the way!

3. When we had the interior re-done, I had the upholstery shop install an
extra pocket on the pilot's side, down by your left ankle. This cost
practically nothing, and essentially doubles the storage space on the
pilot's side -- a real God-send for stowing flashlights, checklists,
leatherman tools, etc.

4. The Kool Scoop is the best thing ever invented for a Cherokee. It swings
out into the slip stream on a hot summer day, and literally pipes the prop
wash directly into the cabin. It's cheap, and very effective.

5. For the luggage compartment, we bought one of those wheeled under-the-bed
plastic storage containers at WalMart. It fits perfectly, is easily removed,
and solves the never-ending fight against clutter.

6. Also for the shoulder harnesses we bought a couple of those cheap
velcro-on fleece pads, available at any automotive shop. They make the
shoulder harnesses MUCH more comfortable, especially for Mary. Those
harnesses catch her right in the neck!

Those are mine -- what have you done to make life easier in the cockpit?
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA