Old August 17th 05, 08:01 AM
Peter Duniho

"Happy Dog" wrote in message
. ..
How many kilowatts does a passenger jet consume to run all the other stuff
that must be powered whilst taxiing? A/C, lighting, avionics etc.
Batteries seem an unlikely solution for all that. Additional batteries
plus the power from an idling engine? Third rail?

IMHO, the most likely solution is to simply run it off the APU. Or maybe
just the regular generator on the engine (which can probably produce enough
power with the engine at idle, which is still a savings over taxiing with
all but one engine shut down). Someone at Boeing was probably driving their
Prius to work and had an epiphany.

My point was simply that the press release is incredibly vague; we really
have no idea *what* this device is, how it works, or how practical it will
be. I suspect it will turn out to be a good idea, but it's hard to know
without any actual information.

Pete