Old May 18th 18, 07:00 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Phil Plane

Default Landing with reduced airbrake

I guess the difference between the DG1000 with the tall gear and the DG 1000 with the short gear is similar to the difference between the Duo Discus with the short gear and the newer Duo X or XL with the tall gear. The minimum approach speed is a few knots faster with the short gear.

I regularly fly the original Duo, the Duo with the X wing and the short gear, a Duo X, and occasionaly the XL. The tall gear is the easiest.

Flying the short gear gliders after you're used to the tall gear you have to be careful not to land slow with the main still half a meter in the air.

Landing any of them like you're meant to (min speed all the way to the holdoff) and they're fine. Let the speed decay on short finals and the short gear will punish you worse than the tall gear.

I've flown the tall gear DG1000 a lot and like it. I haven't flown the short gear DG1000, but I have flown the DG500 and 505 with the short gear. I think the difference is comparable.

Tall is more forgiving and just generally better. Short lets old people get in the glider easier.