Old April 12th 04, 12:14 AM
Mark Klebanoff

On Sun, 11 Apr 2004 22:20:51 UTC, Peter Clark
wrote:

It was included in a service bulletin from Cessna regarding some
faulty ACU's in (insert large number of serial numbers here).
SB04-24-01A, Mar 1 04. The temporary start procedure (alternator side
of master off) to be removed from POH once the replacement unit is
installed.

I've read that we should start all airplanes with a split master
switch that way. Turning on the alternater half of the master
energizes the field windings of the alternator, which just wastes
battery power and heats up the alternator. I've been starting planes
that way for many years now. Once the engire starts I bring the
alternator on line by turning on both halves of the mater switch.
Every Cherokee, Cessna and Bonanza I've been in has a split master,
but as I recall the Mooney 201 and 231's I've flown do not-- it's
either everything on or nothing on.