Old November 12th 06, 11:43 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student
mike regish

Default Setting altimeters with no radio

I think we can judge 1000' from the air better than somebody on the ground
because we spend a lot of time in the pattern at 1000' agl. We gt used to
the perspective and can verify it with our altimeters.

mike

"Super Dave" wrote in message
ink.net...

"Jim Macklin" wrote in message
GPS, even a $100 hikers model will solve the problem. But I
just say, look at the ground, you can judge 1,000 feet
pretty well and you only need to apply the hemisphere rule
above 3,000 AGL.

On the other hand, we always tell airport noise complainers that it is
very
hard to accurately judge aircraft distances, such as whether the plane is
500 feet or 1000 feet high.