Old December 27th 14, 10:42 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Ron Gleason

Default Is Glideplan still relevant?

On Friday, 26 December 2014 21:17:24 UTC-7, WaltWX wrote:
I concur with John Seaborn, John Cochrane and the rest...

GLIDEPLAN is a valuable tool and the only practical way to make up paper maps for the glider cockpit with landout/TPs marked up. Even with my moving map on a Vertica V2 and LK8000, the paper maps provides outstanding situational awareness and pre-flight guidance to task planning (backup to electronics is also a good idea).

With Lynn Alley's geo-referenced jpg files(http://www.soaringdata.info/aviation/sectionalTab.html), Matt Heron doesn't have to spend the tedious amount of work to stitch together custom regions. Lynn, I hope that maintaining a reasonable selection of sectional regions and custom areas doesn't consume too much time. If a small subscription service to a web site is needed, I would subscribe.

BTW, don't plan on "whipping up" a custom map with tailored font sizes, colored waypoints and the such in 15-20 minutes. Every year, I have to relearn the GLIDEPLAN user interface well enough to customize my map. There are enough choices for things like map scale and the number/location of pages to print... that it takes me an hour or two to get it right. If I used the program regularly, this wouldn't be an issue.

Thanks for you work Matt... I hope that GLIDEPLAN lives on.

Walt Rogers WX

Lynn is a great asset to the soaring community and donates much time and energy to the local soaring scene via instructing, tow plane access, weather guessing and mentoring.

If possible donate what you can to show your appreciation for the valubale resource.

Ron Gleason