Old October 20th 03, 04:38 PM
Keith Willshaw

wrote in message
In article ,
362436 (Ron) wrote:

Oh I guess those German submarines must have stopped into US Harbors

during
WW2, to replenish oil supplies, after raiding our convoys.

try the canary islands.

Try again

Much to the displeasure of the Germans the Spaniards interned
a number of U-boat crews that turned up in the Canary Islands and
they were desperately short of fuel themselves

see
http://www.yale.edu/lawweb/avalon/wwii/spain/sp16.htm

You'll find that oil imports to Spain were only allowed
on the basis that Spain distance itself from the Axis.

The only real concession the spaniards made was agreeing
to turn a blind eye to the presence of german tankers in
Spanish territorial waters.

http://www.yale.edu/lawweb/avalon/wwii/spain/sp10.htm
http://www.yale.edu/lawweb/avalon/wwii/spain/sp11.htm

Keith