Old September 18th 10, 06:34 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Orval Fairbairn[_2_]

Default Electric flight is coming

In article
,
Mark wrote:

On Sep 18, 9:33*am, Mark wrote:
Electric planes will fly circles around gasoline planes in
the near future.

"In the drive to devise more efficient and durable batteries, one
promising option uses carbon nanotubes, which not only can store far
more electricity by weight than lithium ion batteries but also retain
their charge for a much longer time."

https://www.scientificamerican.com/a...-talk-charging...

Also, I included this video for conceptualization purposes only.
The battery pack weighs 200lbs. In 10 years this will make a good
comedy film. It's like looking at a steam engine in a volkswagon.
(however it does fly) The new generation of technology will shrink
that battery pack down to 5lbs, and the size of a cigar box.
Once that occurs, you will see power beyond your imagination
that will outrun a Cessna Corvalis TT.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P8Pb_psj1A8

---
Mark

When are we going to have the dilithium crystals necessary for this
technology?

Battery weight is simply a matter of chemistry -- and that imposes
severe limits on its ability to carry charge.