Old August 6th 18, 10:41 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Andrzej Kobus

Default Stall spin during aero tow? Std cirrus

On Monday, August 6, 2018 at 1:48:53 PM UTC-4, wrote:
I agree with Ramy, a fully laden ASG 29 is very intolerant of low tow speeds. As these wonderful gliders begin to fall into the hands les experienced, pilots it needs to become common knowledge that a heavy ASG 29 requires an extra 10 knots of airspeed from the tow plane. I have , and have seen two highly experienced friends struggle with control on takeoff in their 29’s.
We all had thermaling flaps deployed. This is especially true at high density altitudes. 80 knots works nicely. The tow pilot needs to be coached to hold the tow plane in ground effect until that speed is achieved. That can be unsettling to them, especially on hot days at high altitude, so the communication needs to be explicit. As others have said, some Pawnees have inaccurate pneumatics which can lead to pushback from the tow pilot. Any Standard class ship,when heavy, needs that same consideration.
Dale Bush

Yes, this was exactly my experience in the 29. I almost stalled on tow. The same year I bought a self-launcher and I never had that problem again.