Old September 6th 16, 06:55 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Michael Opitz

Default History Question - 1983 Worlds in Hobbs

At 16:32 06 September 2016, Craig Funston wrote:
I'm hoping to update the historic record of my Nimbus 3 which

was flown in
the 1983 Worlds in Hobbs. The glider was owned by Lawrence

Wood at the
time. The flight hours were logged, but there's no mention of who

flew it
in the worlds.

Does anyone know which pilot flew Lawrence Wood's Nimbus 3

(7L - N3127Q) in
the '83 Worlds in Hobbs? Any leads would be appreciated.

Cheers,
7Q

7Q,

The SSA on line archive has an article on the 1983 WGC by Doug
Lamont in the September 1983 issue:

http://ssa.org/Archive/ViewIssue.asp...=1983&month=09

It appears that nobody flying in the open class used 7L, which is
not to say that your glider didn't fly there. The pilot probably just
used a different contest number. It looks like Holger Back of
Germany flew a Ventus with the CN# 7L. My guess is that because
Holger had already reserved 7L, your glider's pilot had to modify the
contest number on your glider. The easiest modification from
looking at the score sheet would have been converting 7L to ZL with
some duct tape, etc. ZL was flown by Sweden's Ake Pettersson to
5th place. If the individual flights are logged, you might compare
speeds etc with the score sheet. David Innes of Guernsey flew #74
which is also a possibility for a modified 7L, but not as easy to do.

RO