Old July 24th 07, 04:22 PM posted to rec.aviation.simulators
Angelo Campanella

Default What is a good desktop Simulaor?

Mxsmanic wrote:
angelo Campanella writes:
I mounted he Mooney (like my acft) ans am now getting familiar. but the
yoke I have (a Logictec Wingman) has a very sqirrely rudder. The rudder
is all over the place! I can't tell whether it is the pot inside or bad
logic somewhere. Taxiing is a menace, and takeoffs a pain in the butt.

Consider getting a set of pedals. It makes flying the sim a lot more
enjoyable, especially for VFR. I use the Saitek X52 joystick and throttle,
plus the Saitek pedals.

Pedals might do it, but its not required for IFR practice which is all
about timing and decision making. The fault is in the rudder system
which amounts to a potentiometer and a digitizer. I am content to
function without a rudder (old FS5 joystick has none), but the Wingman
joystick has more buttons which are very useful. I need to find a way to
nix the rudder control inputs.

Also, consider getting payware add-on aircraft.

That's a good suggestion. My mooney is a J-model wile the sim is an M-
higher performance model.

Many of the payware add-ons
are so good that using them is almost like getting a new, upgraded simulator,
and they match the real aircraft exactly in appearance and almost perfectly in
behavior, particularly for instrument flight. RealityXP makes a set of Garmin
GPS units that behave _exactly_ like the real things (because they use
Garmin's own software), and you can practice on the sim and then use the same
GPS unit in real life without missing a beat.

Can I choose the Garmin model?

My favorite aircraft for GA is Dreamfleet's Beechcraft Baron 58,

Never did have any interest in twins. Twice the probability of an engine
failure (and more maintenance and more costs).

but if you
fly a Mooney there's probably someone else out there who has an ultrarealistic
version of that. (Not that the default FS9 aircraft are _unrealistic_, but
the add-ons are in a class by themselves.)

Aircraft characteristics deviations are not much of a nuisance. I am
still fighting fundamental capabilities (where are the controls and
buttons. Why is the rudder so schizophrenic? It is NEVER straight and
NEVER constant right now.