Old September 15th 10, 04:08 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
mattm[_2_]

Default Future Club Training Gliders

On Sep 15, 10:34*am, Tony wrote:
The 2-33 is suffering the same metal fatigue problems in it's wings as
the L-13.

Is this statement based on actual issues with 2-33 wings or just the
fact that "it is metal, it will fatigue eventually"?

I see no mention in any of the Schweizer Service Bulletins about
issues with 2-22 or 2-33 wing structure and have never heard of any
problems either.

I notice that 3 or 4 of the USA World Team members trained in
Schweizers.

Heck, I trained in Schweizers as well (not too likely to be a team
member though). Post solo I had a chance to fly a K-21, which went
fine since I'd been trained to a high standard. Even with flying
"low performance" planes from the start I stuck with flying;
I did learn to soar well in those things.

I'd love to instruct in a K-21 these days, but cost really is an
issue.
I hardly ever see K-21s on Wings and Wheels; there are a couple
available in Europe for 50-60K Euros. New ones are advertised for
64K Euros, and I would think the delivery price with needed
instruments would wind up higher (I've heard $90K for new).
Typical 2-33s, L-13s, and K-7s go for $10-15K or so.

We've hashed over this argument before. A number of clubs
have managed to afford the more expensive ships for primary
training; I say more power to them. Many of us can only
afford cheaper lower performance planes. We can still train
good pilots in them.

-- Matt