Old September 15th 10, 04:13 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Kevin Christner

Default Future Club Training Gliders

I have spent enough time instructing to see two types of students,
Schweizer trained and everyone else. Place these two types in an
ASK-21. Schweizer trained students often lack refined control
coordination and almost always have little ability to control pitch
and speed properly. The other students seem to do much better. The
Schweizer simply does not require the refined control of more modern
gliders to be flown in a way that seems coordinated. Being trained in
a Schweizer typically means you will need to be totally retrained to
fly anything else, and the bad habits first learned will often creep
back.

Find me one world team member that thinks primary training in a
Schweizer is a good idea. I doubt you'll have any glowing advocates.

KJC

On Sep 15, 7:34*am, Tony wrote:
The 2-33 is suffering the same metal fatigue problems in it's wings as
the L-13.

Is this statement based on actual issues with 2-33 wings or just the
fact that "it is metal, it will fatigue eventually"?

I see no mention in any of the Schweizer Service Bulletins about
issues with 2-22 or 2-33 wing structure and have never heard of any
problems either.

I notice that 3 or 4 of the USA World Team members trained in
Schweizers.