Old February 26th 18, 03:45 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Paul Remde

Default GPS anetenna location OK in baggage area of a fiblerglass glider?

Hi Dirk,

My experience is that GPS antennas work fine through fiberglass and plastic.. The don't work well through metal or carbon fiber.

Best Regards,

Paul Remde

On Sunday, February 25, 2018 at 8:44:09 PM UTC-6, Dirk_PW wrote:
I'm doing a little housekeeping with instrument panel this winter with the intent to eventually install an ADS-B solution (whatever that may be). The panel is quite cluttered right now. I'm considering one option of moving the FLARM GPS antenna (and eventually a ADS-B GPS antenna) back behind my head somewhere in the baggage area. I'm curious if anyone has done this and has had any problem acquiring a GPS signal (on a fiberglass glider). I'm currently having no problems acquiring a signal with the GPS antenna under the fiberglass front panel. Thanks.