Old February 26th 18, 03:52 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Darryl Ramm

Default GPS anetenna location OK in baggage area of a fiblerglass glider?

On Sunday, February 25, 2018 at 6:44:09 PM UTC-8, Dirk_PW wrote:
I'm doing a little housekeeping with instrument panel this winter with the intent to eventually install an ADS-B solution (whatever that may be). The panel is quite cluttered right now. I'm considering one option of moving the FLARM GPS antenna (and eventually a ADS-B GPS antenna) back behind my head somewhere in the baggage area. I'm curious if anyone has done this and has had any problem acquiring a GPS signal (on a fiberglass glider). I'm currently having no problems acquiring a signal with the GPS antenna under the fiberglass front panel. Thanks.

Many (most?) gliders, including carbon fuselage ones have a RF transparent area over the luggage space where you can mount GPS antennas if you want.

With the electronics mounted close by this is not usually an issue. But I'd avoid long runs of RF coax for an GPS antenna. You need to work out the lengths of all connections, power, data and any RF connections involved and what a reasonable maximum can be. Reducing space in the luggage area and putting stuff where it obstructs or can be damaged when rigging/inserting wing pins can be an issue. I'd personally do nothing that reduced available space there.

How many GPS antennas do you need? I'd be looking at keeping ADS-B antennas on a dedicated connection. Possibly combining other antennas though a RF splitter if absolutely required to save space.