Old February 26th 18, 01:59 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
OHM Ω http://aviation.derosaweb.net

Default GPS anetenna location OK in baggage area of a fiblerglass glider?

Two questions;

Dirk_PW - What glider do you own? Do you know if it is fiberglass or carbon fiber? They all look the same on the outside, you know! As Paul says, fiberglass will allow GPS reception but carbon will not.

Darryl - I was unaware that "many" (!) CF gliders have this RF transparent area behind the pilot's head. That would be great as an optional area for mounting antennas as behind our panels things are getting pretty full these days. Any idea which brands/models have this feature? Schleicher ASW-27 by any chance?

PS - Darryl mentions concern about too long of a length of the coax on the GPS antenna. I would suspect, and hope, that the manufacturer wouldn't sell a GPS antenna with an overly long coax. The proof would be in the pudding I suppose - before you go to all the trouble of routing the coax fore to aft, test the functionality with all the coax laying out on the floor. BTW, shortening the tiny GPS coax, and fitting a new tiny connector to it, is much more difficult than a simple BNC.

Best of luck, John Ω

Thanks.