Old November 5th 07, 01:53 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
Frank from Deeetroit

Default SO WHAT DID YOUR PARENTS DO IN THE BIG WAR

"SHIVER ME TIMBERS" wrote in message
Well after watching the Ken Burns series THE WAR ad naseum ad naseum,
I thought I'd come into the group today with one of my curious questions.

What did your parents, family, etc. do in the big WWII.

Mine worked at the Canada Car foundry in what was then called
Fort William, Ontario.

They were inspectors helping to make Hawker Hurricanes and later other
types of figthers including the Curtis Helldiver.

How about your folks.....

My mother rivited radio operators seat mounts and camera mounts in B-24's at
the Willow Run Bomber Plant. She gave a speech at the Yankee Air Museum,
across the field from the Willow Run Bomber Plant when the US Postal Service
issued a commerative stamp to honor all of the "Rosie the Riviters" in 1999.
She also appeard in a Modern Marvels episode about aircraft production in
WWII.

My uncle was a B-17 flight engineer in New Mexico under the command of the
late singer John Denver's father.

Another uncle landed at Normandy and fought to, and through the Battle of
the Bulge.

One aunt worked at Packard Motor's plant in Detroit making Rolls Royce
Merlin engine cylinder heads. Two other aunts worked at Ford Rouge making
other items for the war effort, possibly making machine gun mounts.

My father was still living in Ireland during WWII.