Old July 29th 18, 04:21 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default Silent Skies

On Sunday, July 29, 2018 at 4:04:38 AM UTC-4, wrote:

Skydive New England got permission to jump during Bush vacation TFRs in Maine.

They were actually jumping inside the TFR? Or just
flying the jump plane in and out?

The glider club just outside of DC operates in or near the SuperDuperTFR.

Which TFR is that?

And some balloon guys apparently got permission.

For a one-time event, and a big deal that was scheduled months
(or years) in advance. And pretty heavily restricted.

Start with the FAA and work your way up the Secret Service.

I believe JRS did just that last year, asking for a cutout
or corridor like Stroudsburg has. Secret Service said no,
we aren't close enough to the TFR boundary. And I suspect
they'd pretty much require transponders in any gliders flying
within the boundary.

Jim Beckman