Old July 31st 18, 01:45 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
6PK

Default Silent Skies

On Monday, July 30, 2018 at 5:00:37 PM UTC-7, wrote:
On Sunday, July 29, 2018 at 11:21:35 AM UTC-4, wrote:
On Sunday, July 29, 2018 at 4:04:38 AM UTC-4, wrote:

Skydive New England got permission to jump during Bush vacation TFRs in Maine.

They were actually jumping inside the TFR? Or just
flying the jump plane in and out?

The glider club just outside of DC operates in or near the SuperDuperTFR.

Which TFR is that?

And some balloon guys apparently got permission.

For a one-time event, and a big deal that was scheduled months
(or years) in advance. And pretty heavily restricted.

Start with the FAA and work your way up the Secret Service.

I believe JRS did just that last year, asking for a cutout
or corridor like Stroudsburg has. Secret Service said no,
we aren't close enough to the TFR boundary. And I suspect
they'd pretty much require transponders in any gliders flying
within the boundary.

Jim Beckman

Yes they were jumping in the TFR. You say the balloon event was planned for a long time but your club has been around since the twenties. The DC area glider club has been mentioned here, I haven't looked at a sectional but understand they are close to Camp David and the DC permanent TFR. Separate your politics from the task at hand and go ask for permission or move. And please don't vote for Pocahontas in 2020 cause that would probably screw up my club. Lolz

POLITICS HAS PLACE AT RAS!