Old August 24th 06, 11:28 AM posted to rec.aviation.aerobatics,rec.aviation.soaring
Uli

Default Flight Envelopes

Michael Nyrup wrote:

I haven't made one for a year or two.
It is called a V-n or V-g diagram.
You can make it yourself.
You look up all the information in the POH/AFM.
Horizontal line is airspeed.
Vertical line is g-loading.
Top border is positive-g load limit.
Bottom border is negative-g load limit.
Right border is Vne.

or Vd, if used for design and load calculations

Left border is Zero kts/mph.
The positive knee is at Va, Vs is another point at 1-g.
I would have to go back and review my sources, but this is what I recall
from memory.
I asked Cessna and Piper for the diagrams they generate based on flight
test data, but they would not provide it.

I too have made a few by hand but its never as nice as it would be if
generated by excel or similar.

and don't forget to consider gust loads. john described the manoevring
envelope which is only part of the flight envelope.

michael: for which purpose do you need the envelope? if you just want to
create a placard for your cockpit, refer to the POH; there you should find
any information needed. if you want to design a new airplane, refer to the
applicable certification specification which describes the flight envelope
pretty well (CS-22 in europe).

uli