Old March 29th 04, 07:28 PM
Dave Jacobowitz

I see your point.

Perhaps, and this might be sacrilege on r.a.i, and
I really should think about this more, but I may not intend
to maintain full instrument proficiency, or may not maintain
it all the time -- meaning that I will take lessons and
up my proficiency before flying IMC. Of course, I'll
avoid IMC if I'm not proficient. I already know how
to keep myself alive as a VFR PP.

I started my IRA training knowing that it will make me
a better pilot, all around, which it has. I also honestly
was never thrilled about flying hard IFR in the kind
of beater rentals that I can afford anyway, though I did
and do fancy the idea of being able to climb through a
thin layer.

In any case, I'm afraid it's not always onward and
upward for everyone's aviation capabilities, as things
like financial, career, and family changes take their toll.

I guess an argument can be made that if I'm not going
to maintain 100% proficiency all the time, then I shouldn't
even bother to finish the IRA. I see it differently. It'll
be a lot easier and cheaper to fnish my IRA now, and then
get IPCs (even ones I don't legally "need") later than it
will be to just bail on the rating, and wait to finish it
to when I can "properly" afford it.

In any case, you have a good point, and I do need to
give thought.

-- Dave J
-- jacobowitz73 -at- yahoo -dot- com

"Mike Rapoport" wrote in message link.net...
"Dave Jacobowitz" wrote in message
om...
I think you're totally right. My plans is not to get my
ticket and stop training. Quite the opposite. But there
is still a difference between IR training (4-5 instructor
hours a week) and maintaining proficiency.

I don't see the difference. If you are ready for the checkride today then
you only need to fly enough to maintain that proficiency. It is the same
whether you have the rating or not.

Mike
MU-2