Old February 17th 07, 04:32 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Doug Vetter

Default annual - hartzell AD

Ron Rosenfeld wrote:
Just went through it with my Mooney. I opted for the hub replacement.

By the way, IF you opt for the hub replacement, you won't necessarily have
to do that first eddy current inspection you mentioned above, unless you
want to wait to do the replacement. And your regular shop can pull the
prop and send it off to the shop (that's what we did).

Good point, however we've decided to go the inspection route for now as
we don't know how much longer we'll have the airplane, and it would be
6+ years before we'd pay as much in inspections as we would in the case
of hub replacement.

And in a strange sense, I think I'll feel safer doing the routine
inspection. No matter whether the part is new or old, affected by an AD
or not, they can all develop cracks, and the ones you don't find in time
are the ones that will kill you.

Also, Hartzell, in their infinite wisdom, would send ME a hub, but would
not send it to my prop shop. Fortunately, the shop had a post-AD new hub
on the shelf; so we were able to do a swap with minimum down-time.

My prop shop told me I could buy the hub directly from Hartzell at the
shop's price and that way they wouldn't mark it up. That struck me as a
bit strange, but I bet has something to do with the burden of liability
shifting to the owner or to Hartzell for the owner-supplied part.

-Doug

--
Doug Vetter, ATP/CFI

http://www.dvatp.com