Old September 6th 08, 10:16 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Tech Support

Default E-mail Failure

On Sat, 6 Sep 2008 11:02:47 -0700 (PDT), "
wrote:

On Sep 5, 7:07*pm, stol wrote:

How about a progress report on yourself. Some of us are concerned..

Dear Ben (and the Group),

Since being diagnosed on 14 June 2008 I have lost about thirty
pounds.

With the pain under control I have graduated from a walker to a pair
of canes; then from two canes to one and within the last two weeks to
no canes at all. Moving carefully, I can cover a cane-free distance
of about 120 feet keeping within the patio. If I add a rest-break
between each round I can do that as many as four times per day. Get
me to a Box Store and latch me to a cart, I can examine the available
lumber although I can't lift nor load. Clean me up nice, you can't
even tell I'm sick... until you see me struggling to open a door for
my wife... or pick up the Sunday paper. But there is obvious
improvement in this area as well. I can now lift a full mug of coffee
without shaking like a paint mixer.

This period has proven to be a good time to sharpen tools, audit
drawings, glue-up prop-blanks and so forth. And while I CAN do those
things, I can't do them for very long -- ANY physical activity quickly
depletes my store of energy.

There were several experiments in progress at the time I was
diagnosed with cancer. Most of them had to be abandoned. An
exception was the experiment in which I coated pieces of door-skin
plywood with low-viscosity epoxy resin. The epoxy bonds with the
paper-thin outer lamination of the door-skin and alters its
properties in a number of ways.

Overall I think it's fair to say I'm a pretty lucky fellow.

-R.S.Hoover

veeduber

I have several friends who have beaten the big "C". Hope you can also.

You talk about doorskin. I have used it a lot in my radio controled
model planes (large and small) and have found it to be what I would
describe as brittle. Will ur epoxy treatment make it more flexible and
not snap and break so easy when stessed?

Have a good week end and luck in your fight.

Big John