Old May 21st 08, 02:38 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
BobR

Default Epoxy is really crap for homebuilding

On May 20, 4:39*pm, bizguy wrote:
On May 20, 3:34 pm, BobR wrote:

On May 20, 9:27 am, Sliker wrote:

Lately I've had to use the stuff to work with some pre-made parts that
were made from epoxy. Aeropoxy. Stinky!
Epoxy is more viscose, so it doesn't wet out the cloth as well. It is
more toxic, especially some of the older formulas. And smells
horrible. And why did so many homebuilders get stuck using that crap?
Rutan. Those hot wired, foam core wings and other parts to be exact.
The type of foam that can be hotwired, dissolves when in contact with
vinyl ester or polyester resin. So they had to use epoxy. What they
should have done is figured out another way to cut the foam cores with
something like a wire saw, and used polyurethane foam and vinyl ester
resin. Plus, epoxy is expensive, and much more flameable. So it's use
in aircraft has so many negatives, it should never have been used.
Rutan really put one on us *with the epoxy legacy.

I can't quite figure out what the heck you are talking about. *I have
worked with epoxy for the last 10 years including Aeropoxy, E-Z Poxy,
West and Hysol. *I can not understand you comment about the "stinky"
part at all. *I will totally agree with you that Vinyl Ester stinks to
the high heavens but have never experienced any such problem with
epoxy formulations. *I can't even stand to work with completed parts
made using the Vinyl Ester but not so with epoxy parts.

I also can't agree with the Toxic comment regarding epoxy since it is
much less toxic than either Vinyl Ester or Polyester Resins.

Guess this is just another case of beauty being in the eye of the
beholder. *I rather enjoy working with composites and prefer them to
working with metals.

For me health is a major issue. *I am extremely allergic to it.

I would enjoy working on a plane, but now most all plans specify its
use.- Hide quoted text -

To which one? Vinyl Ester has caused substantial alergic problems but
I haven't seen anyone experience the same with the epoxy
formulations. In any case, I can understand your problem. I have
received a couple of parts built with the Vinyl Ester and even sanding
it cause symptoms similar to asthma but I have never experienced any
problems with epoxy and I rarely use gloves when working with it.