Old October 18th 06, 04:28 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Peter Dohm

Default Cirrus and maneuvering

"Greg Farris" wrote in message
In article ,
says...

(Remember that my earlier comments, in the "east river
turning radius" thread, still stand regarding the ease of turning the

PA-38
Tomahawk by trading airspeed for altitude and then altitude for

airspeed.)

How does it go for the Tomahawk again?
Something like "maintain all control surfaces neutral, and the metal

fatigue
induced through the next three minutes of flight should be sufficient to
induce a gentle turn to the left..."

Sorry ;-)

Kidding aside, my point was this: After reading the long review of the
Cirrus, I did not think I would be comfortable with the maneuvers that I
routinely performed as a student pilot in the Tomahawk as well as three
Cessna models. I have not flown a Cirrus, so I acknowledge that the
controls may not feel as "numb" as implied; but I would certainly want to
practice under a variety of conditions (including a U-turn away from the
wind) before I might trust the control feel.

Not to spoil a good joke, but there was a serious subject regarding the East
River Corridor specifically and canyon turns generally.

Peter

P.S.: The Tomahawk was a good, although somewhat quirky and demanding
trainer. I have never flown one with only the outboard stall strips
installed (much higher CLmax and more dramatic stall), so I don't know
whether some of the other quirks would have been better or worse. BTW, some
could be exploited to considerable effect.