Old July 13th 09, 03:25 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
bildan

Default SAFE Winch Launching

On Jul 13, 1:15*am, Derek Copeland wrote:
At 21:30 12 July 2009, David Chapman wrote:

But other nonsense posted here . please help me, *...

A standard car auto gearbox has some magic power to automatically adjust
the torque to the car wheels on reaching a hill, without changing gear,
road speed or engine setting? What magic is that?

David.

Bill Daniels has some very strange ideas as to how an automatic gearbox
works! As far as I am concerned, it is a device to allow a motor vehicle
to move off from rest, to smoothly change gears, and to stop without
stalling the engine, without a driver operated mechanical clutch. It is
not cruise control!

In that changing gear with a mechanical gearbox and clutch would give
dangerous short term losses of power, an automatic gearbox is an essential
component for any winch or towcar.

Derek Copeland

The only strange part is your inability to read and understand
technical manuals. No one except yourself used the term "cruise
control". Automatic transmissions are extremely complicated devices
with complex behaviors that cannot be understood in your simple terms.