Old January 3rd 11, 07:46 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Derek C

Default poor lateral control on a slow tow?

On Jan 3, 4:57*am, Frank Whiteley wrote:
On Jan 2, 5:33*pm, "
wrote:

On Jan 2, 6:53*pm, Chris Nicholas wrote:

I think that some of the postings above, when referring to tow
positions, are to some extent using different definitions of high and
low tow.

When I started my UK glider training in 1970, a "high" tow position in
the glider was level with, or even higher than, the tug. It was way
above the tug wake and prop wash. It was the normal position for
towing at my gliding club, and as I understood it at the time, the
same for most UK gliding club training.

*A "low" tow position meant below the tug wake and propwash. It was
normally only used for long cross-country tows, and was allegedly
easier for the glider pilot, particularly in thermic conditions. I saw
it and experienced it also when dual tows were practised. The glider
on the short rope went to the high tow position, and the glider on the
long rope into low tow.

After a series of tug upset accidents, UK practice was changed. The
normal tow position now became a lower "high" tow, not far above the
tug wake and propwash. With a tug that was climbing well, this placed
the glider below the tug. That is now the norm, in the UK, as far as I
know. Consequently, with anything other than a very low powered tug, a
glider on tow often has its longitudinal axis horizontal, or even
inclined above the horizontal.

Chris N

Yes...the upset accidents.......I watched from the ground as a tow
pilot got killed that way.....

Once you are above the wake, there is no reason you need to go
higher....and lots of reasons not to. * But how did that "above the
towplane" stuff *get started in the old days? * I think that was a
misconception from the start!

I know a couple of glider ports around here were their answer is to
use low tow exclusively. *While this does address the upset problem, I
feel that there are more disadvantages and dangers to low tow (for
routine tows) than for "normal" tow.

If a pilot can't keep a fairly steady tow position, above the wake and
below the tow plane, even if rough air, he needs more training.
Flying in low tow is not a substitute for pilot skill.

Cookie

Where was that?

Answer me off group, okay?

Frank Whiteley- Hide quoted text -

The correct position for 'high tow' is just a few feet above the tug
propwash. If you are not sure, ease the glider down until you feel the
turbulence and then ease back up a few feet. The appearance of the tug
and its position relative to the horizon will depend on its angle of
climb, and for that matter the nature of the horizon because a
mountain range is somewhat higher than a plain or a seascape. When the
tug levels out on a cross-country retrieve the correct high tow
position looks a lot higher than the normal climb position.

Derek C (UK Instructor)