Old September 17th 03, 09:48 PM
Roger Long

Default Teaching airworthiness

I was holding at a taxiway intersection for a flight school plane today.
The 152 hesitated and then started to turn right towards me. The tower
called up and said "# # X, that's a LEFT turn."

"We're having some trouble with our left brake so we're going to do a 360
around to the right."

Right, I thought, a 180 back to the FBO you mean. Nope they went all the
way around (270 actually) , down to the run up area, and went flying. I
know they can coast to a stop on our long class C runways and I'm sure the
instructor didn't want to cancel the lesson but.

They might not be able to stop on a short runway if they had to divert in an
emergency. The plane wasn't legal. The insurance probably was invalid
because the plane wasn't airworthy.

Is this what they are teaching students these days?

--
Roger Long