Old August 25th 03, 01:26 AM
Satellite

I don't think that's the issue here. (PPL - 110h) Why are you trying to
discredit me anyways? Running out of arguments?

If you buy the Tiger you will have to update the avionics sooner or later -
this will cost you incl. install about $20000 to $25000 - If you buy a used
C172 (newer model) like 1997 or newer with a runout engine, you spend about
$21000 for a new engine. So essentially for the same price in the end you
will have an airplane that was build 20 years later. Not to mention the
paint, the interior, the glass etc.

If you are really smart and want to save some money and get more speed,
consider spending rather $40000 on an STC for an engine conversion to the
Centurion 1.7 engine. Then you can burn jet fuel in a C172 at a rate of
4.6gal/h at 110 kts. Now that's efficient. And because it's a turbo
normalized diesel engine running on jet fuel you will have full power - even
up to 12000 feet.

http://www.centurion-engines.com/c17/c17_perform.htm

And don't talk to me like I am an idiot, I was an aircraft mechanic and
helicopter mechanic in the German Army - I did my research. I will buy a
used C172 after I get my IFR. I will buy one with a runout engine and
convert to the mentioned jet diesel. The conversion comes with everything
firewall forward. So for about $110000 I can go 110 kts and use only about
4.5 gal of jet fuel. You buy what you like, but I recommend to take a piece
of paper and calculate the "total cost" of flying. I will still fly when you
run out of credit cards at the FBO to gas up.

"Dan Luke" wrote in message
"Satellite" wrote:
I don't get into an older than 20 year plane!

Somehow I doubt you've spent much time in light aircraft of any age.
--
Dan
C172RG at BFM