Old September 4th 16, 11:02 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default emailing your log file from an iPhone

Would one of these wifi usb sticks work for your needs.

https://www.sandisk.com/home/mobile-...wireless-stick

On Saturday, September 3, 2016 at 4:37:45 PM UTC-7, Dave Nadler wrote:
These days we're asked to email our log files to
the (often remote) scorer, and PC's are, well, so passe.
It's a drag running around trying to find somebody with a
PC to email the file. And we definitely to NOT want
to delay the scoring.

Some flight computers can send the log file directly from the
plane. Heck, I prototyped this decades back using a PalmV with
cell-modem, and people said "That's silly, you're wasting your
time, why would anybody want that?". Cell coverage and speeds
were really bad back then anyway.

What about using a smart phone to email the log?
Android users have a few options; Android can read a USB stick.
But what about us iPhone users?
"Can't be done!" I'm told by pundits, "Get an Android!".
But really, at least until January, we get to chose our religion
here in USA. But I digress again.

For iPhone, I found a device with an iStore app, that has
a Lightning connector on one end (recent iPhones) and a USB-A
connector on the other end (like a normal USB memory stick).
Works like a charm: normal USB side works with PowerFLARM
(which I use as my primary logger) and also with ILEC SN10.
https://www.amazon.com/HooToo-Lightn.../dp/B019W8N4DU
After copying the log from your logger onto the stick, plug
the stick into the iPhone, run the special app, then select
and email the file from the external storage. QT will be happy.
So you will be happy.

Some notes:

- Always exit app prior unplugging stick from iPhone.
Otherwise you get to reboot your iPhone prior using the app again.

- Must be formatted FAT32 (as it is shipped)

- Do NOT try "iDrive from Omar's" - does not work!!!

PS: For Nerds: Unlike Linux, where I can just write a script to deal
with a newly-mounted USB device, I'm told iOS needs a registered app
matching the USB deviceID. When iOS reads an unregistered USB stick
(using a lightning-to-USB cable), it pops an "import" app, which
doesn't seem to do anything with unknown filetypes like IGC, or
do anything useful with external files that I could find...
A detailed explanation from an iOS nerd would be great.
No, don't want to jailbreak...