Old March 6th 04, 02:50 PM
Chris OCallaghan

Hey Jim,

Here's a member opinion for what it's worth. During 26 years of SSA
membership, I have attended 3 conventions (Valley Forge, Chicago,
Dayton). This was dictated wholly by convenience (can I get there
easily and within the contraints of my work schedule?). I enjoyed
myself each time, but more for the opportunity of chance meetings with
old friends. The petting zoo is nice... but there really isn't enough
new under the sun to justify a visit solely to see gliders and related
paraphernalia, and certainly not once a year. The presentations have
changed little over the years. Every convention features something
new, but for the most part, we're hearing tales oft told. This is
great for new members, but a better balance of new and golden oldies
would be preferable. If staging the event every other year helps this,
I am all for it.

If I had the sense that a convention had many new, interesting
products and insights to offer, I might be enticed to make it a
regular pilgrimage. Under the current formula, I'm coming once every 8
years.

OC