Old June 14th 06, 04:42 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr,rec.aviation.student

Default CFII oral exam guide questions?

"Roy Smith" wrote in message ...

I honestly don't see why a pilot needs to know anything beyond, "A VOR
transmits 360 radials, and the NAV receiver can tell which one you're on".

Unlike some of the physics half-truths the FAA pushes, I can't see how this
little white lie could possibly get you into any operational trouble. It
doesn't get in the way of understanding VOR declination, or service
volumes, or scalloping due to signal reflections, or reverse sensing, or
the zone of confusion, or any of a number of little VOR gotchas that pilots
do need to be aware of.

This is usenet so we like to split hairs. :-)
VORs are not limited to "360 radials".
If you want to claim you navigate to 1/2-degree precision, or finer, VORs do that.
Personally, I try not to claim that ability, though. :-/